Vedanta buys Nickel and Cobalt producing company Nicomet
- Anil Aggarwal company Vedanta ltd. has bought the Goa based Nickel and Cobalt producing company Nicomet.
- This will make Vedanta the sole company in India to produce nickel.
- Nickel, a strategic mineral, is a vital input for manufacturing stainless steel and batteries for electric vehicles (EVs).
- Similarly, cobalt is a key element for lithium-ion batteries for EVs and energy storage systems, besides other use cases such as a superalloy for steelmaking.
- India’s demand for nickel is pegged at 45 Kilo Tonne Per annum (KTPA), which is entirely met through imports. Nicomet has a capacity to produce 7.5 KTPA nickel and cobalt.
- India imports its nickel mainly from Guinea and Australia.
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -