Piyush Goyal's two-day visit to Italy
Tags: International Relations
Union Minister of Commerce and Industry Piyush Goyal was visiting Rome on 12 April 2023 on a two-day visit to Italy.
An Overview of the News:
- Shri Goyal met Antonio Tajani, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs, Government of Italy to review all aspects of bilateral trade and economic relations.
- Both the Ministers exchanged views on leveraging the India-Italy trade and economic partnership for development in various sectors.
- After the state visit of Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni to India on 2 March 2023, efforts were made to elevate the bilateral relationship to the level of a strategic partnership.
Suggestion for formation of Joint Working Group:
- Tajani suggested setting up of a joint working group in strategic areas such as space, technology, defence, agriculture etc. to keep abreast of important developments in these areas.
Bilateral trade with Italy:
- Bilateral trade between India and Italy to be around US$ 16 billion in 2022.
- Shri Goyal briefed about the progress made in India-EU FTA negotiations. Both the Ministers underlined the importance of a free, balanced and fair Free Trade Agreement and hoped that it would be concluded soon.
Joint Commission on Economic Cooperation (JCEC) in Rome:
- The two leaders also agreed to hold the next session of the Joint Commission on Economic Cooperation (JCEC) in Rome in the last week of September 2023.
- Capital: Rome
- Currency: Euro
- President: Sergio Mattarella
- Prime Minister: Georgia Meloni
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -