National Safe Motherhood Day: 11 April
Tags: Important Days
National Safe Motherhood Day is observed every year on 11 April. Its main objective is to raise awareness about maternal health, the need for proper medical care during pregnancy and postpartum.
An Overviews of the News
- This initiative was started by the Government of India to reduce the number of maternal and neonatal deaths.
- The day serves as a reminder for both government and society to prioritise the health and safety of mothers and their newborns.
- In 2003, the Government of India declared 11 April as the National Safe Motherhood Day through the efforts of the White Ribbon Alliance India (WRAI) and the day was chosen to coincide with the birth anniversary of Kasturba Gandhi, a renowned social reformer.
- The primary objective of WRAI was to create awareness about healthy health care practices as well as the availability and accessibility of health care initiatives for women during pregnancy, childbirth and postpartum care and to encourage the government to prioritise maternal health.
About the White Ribbon Alliance (WRA):
- It is a non-profit organisation established in 1999 with the primary objective of advocating for maternal and newborn health and rights.
- The organisation operates in more than 50 countries worldwide, focusing on mobilising and empowering individuals, communities, and organisations to demand and receive quality maternal and newborn health services.
Please Rate this article, so that we can improve the quality for you -